This sandwich will fill you up and is super delicious!
Smashed Avocado, Chickpea and Pesto [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 1, 15 oz can, chickpeas (no-salt added), rinsed and drained
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or from 1/2 lemonSalt & ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices, whole wheat/grain bread
- Fresh Spinach, handful (optional)
For the Pesto:
- 3 ounces fresh basil
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, or cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth/stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- If making your own pesto, start with that. Add all of the the pesto ingredients to your food processor and blend. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas and avocado. Using an avocado smasher tool (or, a fork), smash together the chickpeas and avocado. Chunks of chickpeas are normal.
- Next, add the 2 tablespoons of basil pesto and lemon juice. Mix well. Taste test the mixture to see if you'd like to add salt and pepper.
- To make your sandwich, simply layer some spinach (or other mixed greens) on your sliced bread and scoop the bean mixture on the sandwich. Feel free to toast your bread.
*Feel free to use store-bought pesto. Tip: If you are looking to take this for lunch, add one serving to a small pyrex bowl, add a little extra lemon juice to the top, and add a plastic wrap. This helps to prevent the avocado from turning brown--which isn't harmful, it just doesn't look as pretty!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile