Stuffed tomatoes are another in the delicious line of traditional Greek stuffed vegetables, or "gemistes." This recipe also features the very Greek use of sweet, dried fruits in savory dishes. Currants, toasted pine nuts, fresh herbs and fluffy rice fill these tomatoes to the brim with so many wonderful flavors – they’re the most perfect meal imaginable! And once you see how simple stuffed tomatoes are to make, they’ll be regulars in your dinner rotation.
Simplest Greek Stuffed Tomatoes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Simplest Greek Stuffed Tomatoes [Vegan]
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup (uncooked) rice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- 1 cup of tomato insides, mashed
- 3/4 cup warm water (in addition to 2 cups above)
How to Prepare Simplest Greek Stuffed Tomatoes [Vegan]
- Slice off top of each tomato to make small lids.
- Scoop out insides of tomatoes and save 1 cup. Mash tomato insides well and set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until very lightly brown. Finely chop and combine fresh herbs. Set aside.
- Sauté onions until soft then stir in rice and cook on low for five minutes. Add pine nuts, currants, herbs, tomato insides and 2 cups water. Bring to simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Allow filling to cool for approximately 10 minutes before filling tomatoes. You can make filling up to 3 days ahead of time and keep covered in refrigerator until ready to fill/bake. Remember to bring to room temperature before using.
- When ready to bake, fit tomatoes into a pan which holds them snuggly and fill each tomato to the top with rice filling. Cover filled tomatoes with lids and brush tops and sides with olive oil. Add 3/4 cup warm water to the bottom of the pan in between stuffed tomatoes and bake for 1 1/2 hours in a 375°F oven.
A 9-inch round cake pan works well for six large tomatoes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.