A simple lentil soup with an Instant Pot option! This soup is packed with hearty lentils, carrots, celery and a few pantry staples. It makes a large pot, so you’ll have leftovers for days or you can store some in the freezer.
Simple Lentil Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado, canola, vegetable oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, dry
- 2 cups vegetable broth, unsalted
- 1 can (28oz/796ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14oz/400ml) coconut milk (full fat or light)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Start by chopping all of your vegetables. Set them aside, ready for use.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the diced carrots and celery. Sauté for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, cumin, turmeric, coriander and salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, coconut milk and broth. Stir together and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and let simmer, covered for 30-35 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are cooked and tender.
- Stir occasionally.
- Once it's done cooking, stir in the spinach and lemon juice. Cook 1-2 minutes until the spinach softens.
- Serve immediately or let it cool slightly and store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Let it cool completely
- before storing in the freezer.
Instant Pot Method:
- Prepare all of your ingredients before you start.
- Set your Instant Pot under the sauté setting for 8 minutes. Immediately add your oil, onions, garlic, celery and carrots. Sauté for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 8 minutes, add the remaining ingredients and stir together. Close the Instant Pot and cook under manual or soup mode for 15 minutes. Set the steam release handle to "sealing".
- When the soup is done cooking, turn off the Instant Pot and release steam.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon juice.
- Serve immediately or let it cool slightly and store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Let it cool completely before storing in the freezer.
Feel free to use the vegetables you have on hand. You can also skip the fresh spinach or use kale or frozen spinach. You can skip the lemon juice if you don’t have any. It does add brightness to the soup. You could also try a touch of white wine vinegar instead. If you use salted broth, reduce the salt added to taste. Feel free to skip it if you don’t have some on hand.