This is delicious stir-fry of marinated tempeh, rich shiitake mushrooms and sautéed kale in a garlic-ginger sauce, over red rice. I know you'll love it.
Shiitake, Tempeh, and Kale Stir-Fry [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Shiitake, Tempeh, and Kale Stir-Fry [Vegan]
- desired amount of cooked rice or quinoa (I like red rice)
- 1 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted and sliced
- 8 oz. tempeh, sliced very thinly Marinade:
- 1/3 cup liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup water from reconstituting shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small bunch of kale, chopped and stem tips discarded
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly on the diagonal
How to Prepare Shiitake, Tempeh, and Kale Stir-Fry [Vegan]
- Start by reconstituting the mushrooms in a shallow bowl with just enough boiling water to cover. Allow to rest until ready to use, at least 10 minutes.
- Cook desired amount of rice or quinoa according to package. Slice the tempeh very thinly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients, excluding the water from the mushrooms. When the mushrooms have rested for 10 minutes, remove ½ cup of the water and whisk into the marinade.
- Seal the tempeh and marinade in a small zip lock baggie. Shake to ensure all the pieces are covered and refrigerate until ready to use, at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the reconstituted mushrooms with a slotted spoon from the water and slice. Set aside.
- Once the tempeh is done marinating, heat the sesame oil over medium-low and add the garlic and crushed red pepper. Then, remove the tempeh from marinade with a slotted spoon and add to pan (reserving the marinade for later). Sauté for about 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms, kale, and marinade. Sauté another 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. If it thickens too much, add a bit of water from the mushrooms. Stir in the green onions and remove from heat.
- Serve hot, over cooked rice or quinoa and garnish with sesame seeds and extra green onion.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.