Crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside. Breaded and cooked to perfection. This is for those people who have been longing for their grandmother's schnitzel. You know who you are.
Seitan Schnitzel [Vegan]
- 2 chipotle chilis in adobo
- 4 tablespoons nut-butter or tahini
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup aquafaba (liquid from can of chickpeas) (or you can substitute with 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a blender place chipotles, nut butter, soy sauce, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and broth. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl place the vital wheat gluten, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the liquid from the blender to the dry ingredients and stir until a loose dough forms.
- Roll up your sleeves and knead the dough with your hands for 2-3 minutes to activate the gluten. Lightly flour cutting board.
- Break the dough into 6-7 pieces. Roll each into a ball and with a rolling pin flatten them into schnitzel-y shapes.
- Lightly grease a baking pan and place the rolled out schnitzel pieces on it. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes and remove from oven.
- I use shallow bowls or pie pans for the dipping process. Place milk, flour, aquafaba and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls or pie pans.
- Dip each piece of schnitzel dough first in milk (on both sides), then flour (both sides), then aquafaba (both sides), then bread crumbs (on both sides). I really try to press the bread crumbs on firmly because I want a really crunchy final product.
- Heat up your oil in a wide pan and fry the schnitzels until golden brown and crispy on each side. Remove from pan and serve with a wedge of lemon.