This is the perfect light summertime dinner with multiple layers of distinct Asian flavors. The tofu takes it all in, leaving you with a fantastic, satisfying dish. Be sure to use extra firm tofu and monitor your habanero intake. One of the first dishes I ever cooked in a wok, my favorite kitchen companion.
Seared Tofu With Chinese Eggplant and Baby Bok Choy [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 4 tbsp garlic, minced (divide into 2 - 2 tbsp portions)
- 3 Chinese eggplants, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs baby bok choy, chopped
- 2 blocks organic extra firm tofu, drained
- 3 orange habanero peppers
- 2 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- canola oil
- Drain and press tofu for at least 30 minutes to allow water to drain out.
- Start by mincing, dicing and chopping ginger, garlic, eggplant and bok choy. Then cube tofu into approx. 1 inch cubes. Remove seeds and dice habanero peppers (use less peppers for a milder dish and remember to wash hands and cutting board after prepping the peppers.)
- Add canola oil to cover bottom of wok and heat med/ high. Add 2 tbsp garlic and sauté until brown. Fold in Chinese eggplant and cook 3/4 of the way (approx 10 min) then remove from wok and set aside.
- Add canola oil to cover bottom of work and heat on med/high. Add 2 tbsp garlic and habanero peppers and sauté 2 minutes. Then add tofu and cook until browned and tender.
- Fold back in the eggplant then add hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
- Cook another few minutes then add baby bok choy just to wilt then remove from heat.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Add salt only if needed.