This comforting, meat-free bolognese is a quick, easy dish that cooks in just 30 minutes. Mushrooms stand for the richness and are backed by the flavor of toasted walnut, which brings a familiar texture to this classic dish. Serve over a bed of your favorite spaghetti with a generous amount of vegan Parmesan.
Savory Walnut and Mushroom Bolognese [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 stem of celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 finely chopped red chili
- 3 finely chopped
- 2 stalks fresh thyme
- 2 stalks fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 10.5 ounces mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- Vegan Parmesan, for topping
- Pasta of choice (gluten-free, grain-free), for serving
- Start by roasting the walnuts in a dry pan until they get some color. While they are roasting, chop the onion, celery, carrot, chili, and garlic.
- Fry the onion, celery and carrot in a saucepan in a little bit of cooking oil until they get a nice color. Then add the chili, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and oregano. Let them fry for a few seconds then add the tomato purée. Let the purée get a nice color before you add the apple cider vinegar.
- Stir around in the bottom of the pot to bring forth the flavors. Then, add the crushed tomatoes and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta and fry the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a hearty dose of vegan cheese.