This dish comes together quickly and easily, even though there's a lot going on. Salty, balsamic-glazed mushrooms are cooked in minutes and get wrapped up in a super simple chickpea flour pancake. It’s filling, tasty and ready in no time! Reprinted with permission from Effortless Vegan by Sarah Nevins, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Sarah Nevins
Savory Socca Pancakes with Sauteed Balsamic Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup (46 g) chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups (150 g) cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (2 g) fresh thyme, plus more for topping
- Vegan Parmesan
- To make the pancake batter, whisk together the chickpea flour, water, 1⁄4 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil in a medium-sized bowl until no lumps remain. Set aside.
- To make the balsamic mushrooms, warm a large, nonstick skillet over high heat and add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms, vinegar, garlic powder, thyme, and the remaining salt to the skillet. Stir and continue to sauté over high heat for about 5 minutes as the mushrooms begin to caramelize slightly. Reduce the heat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set them aside as you make your pancakes. Wipe down the skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil. When the oil is hot, pour the batter into the hot skillet, about 3 tablespoons (45 ml) at a time. You should end up with 4 pancakes, about 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter, in the skillet. If your skillet isn’t large enough to fit all four, cook them two at a time.
- Let the pancakes cook for about 5 minutes until the edges are cooked. There should be small air bubbles across the uncooked surfaces of the pancakes. Carefully flip over and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden.
- Once the pancakes are done, divide between two plates and top the pancakes with the sautéed mushrooms, fresh thyme, and vegan Parmesan (if using).
- Chickpea Flour