This recipe for lentil soup will be your new favorite. It's savory and filling, with plenty of vegetables for nutrition. The way the lentils absorb the broth during cooking make it hearty and perfect for serving alongside crusty bread.
Savory Lentil Soup [Vegan]
- 2 cups green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, any colour, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch green onions, white and green parts, sliced thin
- 1 sweet bell pepper, any colour, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon mustard, brown or yellow
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (tamari, if you’re gluten-free)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 large potato, diced (substitute 1 green plantain, diced)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 4-8 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse lentils and place in a large pot with enough water to cover.
- In a skillet, over medium-high heat, combine the red onion, green onion, bell pepper, tomato, and garlic. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and sautee until they begin to sweat, then add the mustard, soy sauce, and thyme, and stir to combine. Cook until all the vegetables are soft and the contents are sauce like.
- Add the sauce, potatoes and carrots to the pot with the lentils. Turn the heat to medium-high, bring to boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, adding more water as needed, until the lentils, potatoes, and carrots are tender. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking. Serve hot, with rice, or alone.