Step up your savory breakfast game with this lentil oatmeal taco bowl. A blend of red lentils and rolled oats create something similar to a ground beef and they’re spiced up with taco seasoning. Once you've made your oats, you can top the bowl with the same items you would use to top a taco. The best part about eating your tacos in bowl form is that you can add as many toppings as you want, without worrying about it fitting it into a tortilla.
Savory Lentil Oatmeal Taco Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Oatmeal:
- 1 cup water (do not add salt)
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder or granules
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Up to 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
For the Topping Ideas:
- Gluten-free tortilla chips
- Shredded romaine lettuce or greens of choice
- Lime juice
- Bring water and lentils to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add oats and cook another 5 minutes, adding more water if necessary. before all water has absorbed, stir in salt, spices, and optional nutritional yeast.
- Transfer to a bowl and add toppings as desired.
You can substitute all the spices for 1 tablespoon premade taco seasoning blend. This lentil-oat recipe could also be placed inside a taco shell or lettuce wrap for a more traditional taco experience.