Irresistibly snackable, delicious, and sure to please all of your guests, even the meat-eaters. The filling is prepared with a favorite homemade sausage recipe, full of smoky flavor and herbs. The sausages are blended with baked sweet potato to make the sausage meat and layered up with caramelized red onion. Encased in flaky puff pastry, these little rolls are sure to be a hit at your festive table this season!
Sausage Rolls with Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion [Vegan]
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 baked sweet potato, flesh only
- 3 red onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (can sub regular brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 block puff pastry
- 1/4 cup aquafaba/plant milk
- Optional - sesame seeds
- Aluminum foil
- Blend kidney beans, tomato puree, and soy sauce together in a food processor until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add kidney bean mix, vegetable stock, nutritional yeast, spices, and herbs. Stir to combine then add vital wheat gluten. Stir well, then knead for 4-5 minutes to bring it together into a dough.
- Heat up a pan of water to a gentle simmer and place a steamer over the top. Cut out squares of foil in pieces. Take 2 tablespoons pieces of dough and roll into rough sausage shapes. Place in square of foil and roll up tightly, twisting at the ends to seal. Steam sausages for 40 minutes, until they feel firm. Remove from the heat.
- Prepare caramelized onion by adding olive oil to a frying pan over medium heat. Add in onions and cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Add in coconut sugar and balsamic and cook for another 10 minutes, until sticky and caramelized.
- In a blender, add sausage and the baked sweet potato flesh. Blend briefly until it forms sausage meat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out puff pastry to a large rectangle on a floured surface. Cut in half lengthways and add sausage meat along the middle of each strip. Add over a thin layer of caramelized onions. Brush one length with aquafaba or plant milk and fold over, using a fork to seal the edges.
- Slice into pieces and brush with a little more aquafaba/plant milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds if using. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden and puffed up.