Not only is this samosa potato and chickpea patties with cilantro chutney recipe delicious, but it also reduces food waste by using potato skins and cilantro stems instead of tossing them! Help the planet out a little bit extra while also eating an awesome meal.
Samosa Potato and Chickpea Patties with Cilantro Chutney [Vegan]
- 2 medium russett potatoes, diced with skins left on
- 1 cup chickpeas from a can - save canning liquid for aquafaba
- 1/2 cup green peas (frozen, thawed)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ginger, and corriander, each
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, onion powder, turmeric, and black pepper, each
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Spray oil
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro or 1 big handful, leaves and stems
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-4 tablespoon water (use more for a thinner chutney)
- 1/2 teaspoon or sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- In a medium pot, add enough water so that the tops of some potatoes are still sticking out (the amount will vary based on the pot).
- Place the pot, uncovered, over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Simmer until the water evaporates and the potatoes are tender enough to mash, about 15 minutes. If liquid remains in the bottom of the pot, remain over heat and stir until the liquid is gone.
- Add chickpeas (reserve can liquid for some aquafaba) to the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until broken up and combined. Some chunks will remain, and that is good for texture.
- Mix green peas through cayenne into potato mixture.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed skillet (like cast iron) over medium heat. Form potato mixture into 12-15 patties, about 2 inches wide.
- Use spray oil to coat the skillet. Place patties into the skillet, as many as will fit comfortably. Cook until golden brown (1-2 minutes), and flip. Cook 1-2 more minutes or until golden on the other side. Do not use too much oil because the patties will absorb it and become greasy. Continue cooking patties in batches.
- Meanwhile, place cilantro and garlic into a mini food processor. Pulse until well chopped and no large chunks remain. Add remaining chutney ingredients and process until smooth. Use more water for a thinner chutney, or less for a thick chutney (this recipe used 1 tablespoon).
- Serve patties with chutney and a side salad.