Do you love samosas? Wait until you try this!
Samosa Pie [Vegan]
- 5 potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into small bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons organic canola oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3/4-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 deep dish pie crusts
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
- Dice your onion and remove 1 cup of peas from the freezer to thaw.
- Peel your potatoes and carrots.
- Chop your carrots into small bite sized pieces and quarter your potatoes.
- Boil your carrots in a separate pot for about 10-15 minutes until just soft. Drain and set aside.
- Boil your potatoes in their own pot for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Roughly mash your potatoes with a handheld masher ensuring they remain a bit lumpy. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat your canola oil over medium heat. Once hot add your cumin seeds and stir them around (occasionally) for about 3 minutes.
- Add your diced onion and stir well to combine. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add your turmeric, garam masala, salt, pepper and red chile flakes. Stir well to combine.
- Add your mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Last, add your thawed peas and cooked carrots and gently combine.
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Remove your pie crust from the freezer and allow it to thaw for about 15 minutes.
- Add the filling to the pie crust filling it quite full.
- Wet the edges of the top and bottom crusts before placing the top crust on top of the filling and pressing the edges together to seal them.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the top piecrust with soy milk.
- Cut a few slits in the centre of the pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place on a baking tray or directly on your oven rack and cook for about 40 minutes until the top is golden.
- Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for about 5-10 minutes before cutting into slices and serving.