Honeycomb candy, unlike the honeycomb we associate with bees, is essentially an aerated hard caramel. It is a staple in England, but I could only find it in the imported sections of select stores in the US. Fortunately, it is so simple to make at home. It is light and crunchy and reminiscent of burnt caramel in flavor. The magic comes from baking soda, which instantly foams when it is added and creates air pockets as it sets in the sugar. This recipe calls for organic agave instead of corn syrup and a sprinkling of salt to bring out the flavor and balance the sweetness. Feel free to play with other liquid sweeteners like maple syrup or sorghum; both add flavor and are all-natural and vegan friendly. I use honeycomb in ice cream, on ice cream, or as a snack all on its own. Beware: it is addictively good.
Salted Honeycomb [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cups (250 g) organic unrefined cane sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) organic agave
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold water
- 1 tablespoon (13 g) baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with greased parchment paper. Combine the sugar, agave, and water in a medium-sized heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, and stir only until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture come to a boil and cook it until it reaches around 300°F (150°C) and is a dark amber color—for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the baking soda, whisking just enough to get out the lumps. Immediately pour the mixture onto the lined baking sheet, using a heatproof spatula to scrape all of it from the pan—but don’t smooth it down or you will lose all of those lovely air pockets. Do not touch it yet! It is so hot and sticky. Immediately sprinkle the surface of the candy with sea salt before it sets.
- Put the baking sheet in a cool, dry place to cool.When the candy is hard, break it apart into chunks with your fingers. It is the best when it’s fresh, as it absorbs moisture and starts to get chewy very quickly. But rest assured, it can be frozen in a sealed container and enjoyed for a couple of weeks.
makes about 2 cups.