Imagine an intensely rich mousse, silky smooth with a subtle balance of sweetness and smoked salt. Serve at the end of an exquisite meal, in a bright white espresso cup. Just don’t tell anyone it contains avocado until after they finish and enjoy the pleasantly surprised looks on their faces.
15-Minute Salted Chocolate Mousse [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 9 ounces good-quality vegan dark chocolate
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of smoked sea salt flakes
- Break up the chocolate into even pieces and place in a heat-proof bowl. Blast for 30 seconds in the microwave, stir, then heat again for a few more seconds until melted.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh into a blender. Spoon in the melted chocolate, maple syrup, soy milk, and vanilla extract and blend on high until combined. Use a spatula to scrape the mixture back to the center of the blades and blend on high again until completely smooth.
- Pour into small cups or ramekins, then sprinkle with the smoked sea salt flakes. Chill for 5 minutes before serving.