This sauce recipe is really straightforward; it takes less than 20 minutes to make this decadent sticky sauce. It's salty, sweet, and perfect for adding character to vanilla ice cream and baked oatmeal.
Salted Caramel Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- Place sugar and water in a pot over medium heat. Gently cook, stirring gently, as the sugar dissolves.
- Eventually, the sugar will melt, then solidify again, then finally melt again. On the second melt it will quickly turn to a dark caramel color — keep your eye on it. Turn the heat down if caramelizing too quickly — stir to combine all lumps.
- Remove from heat.
- Gently add both the vegan butter and coconut cream and stir to combine.
- Return to heat and allow to boil for a minute or so. During this time, the caramel will bubble up the sides of the pot fairly aggressively.
- Remove from heat and add salt. Once cooled, taste the sauce, and add more as required.
Yields 1 1/2 cups.