Bread is one of life's greatest pleasures — and this homemade focaccia tops that. It is perfectly crisp on the outside, but light, fluffy, and moist on the inside. Thinly sliced purple potatoes with fresh rosemary and salt are sprinkled over the top just before it bakes in the oven. Have this focaccia for lunch, dinner, or even breakfast, paired with your favorite cup of coffee.
Rosemary Purple Potato Focaccia [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Rosemary Purple Potato Focaccia [Vegan]
For the Focaccia:
- 1 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- A pinch of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons semolina
- Approximately 3 1/2 cups bread flour (type 750 or 0, 00, or 500)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Topping:
- 2-3 medium purple potatoes
- Fresh rosemary
- Olive oil
How to Prepare Rosemary Purple Potato Focaccia [Vegan]
- In a very large bowl, add warm water, followed by yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Gradually add the flour, stirring constantly as you do. When the dough starts to stick to the bowl, add olive oil.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface. Briefly knead the dough. It should be soft and springy. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- On a baking sheet or stone, sprinkle semolina. Transfer the dough and stretch it out (round or rectangular), thicker than a pizza crust.
- Cook the potatoes in salted water. They should be soft, but not soft enough to mash. Using a kitchen knife or mandoline, slice the potatoes thin. Preheat oven to 480°F.
- Drizzle olive oil over the dough, then cover with potato slices. Sprinkle with salt and fresh rosemary.
- Bake bread for 5-7 minutes, or until the edges are crispy.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.