Biscuits, unlike bread, don’t involve much hassle and are like a blank canvas that can be flavored with whatever you like! In this recipe, fluffy buttery biscuits are infused with the flavors of rosemary and vegan Parmesan. The herby, cheesy biscuits go perfectly with the indulgent and sweet truffle maple syrup.
Rosemary and ‘Parmesan’ Biscuits [Vegan]
For the Biscuits:
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup grated vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh pepper (around 4-5 grinds)
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, grated
- 1/2 cup almond milk, combine with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Truffle Syrup:
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, black pepper, and chopped rosemary; whisk well to combine. Using a large cheese grater, shred the vegan butter into the dry ingredients; use your fingertips to rub the butter into the mix, stopping when the mixture is a coarse meal.
- Combine the almond milk with apple cider vinegar. Combine with hands until a messy, sticky ball is formed. Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface and knead (with very floured hands) until the dough has been worked into a ball; about 6-7 times should do it.
- Pat the ball down into a 1-inch thick round, then use a biscuit cutter to cut out as many rounds as possible, re-rolling the scraps as needed.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet, top each one with additional Parmesan and bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown. Top with the truffle maple syrup.