This red pepper quiche is inspired by the red pepper and walnut dip, muhummara, a Syrian/Arabic dish. The sweet potato crust makes it even better!
Roasted Pepper Quiche With Sweet Potato Crust [Vegan]
For the crust:
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 flax egg - 1 tablespoon flax seeds with 3 tablespoons water
For the filling:
- 1 1/8 cup mix of red and green peppers
- 1/2 cup red peppers
- 1 block of tofu
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Peel and grate the sweet potato.
- Once the sweet potato is grated, place some salt on it and leave for 5 minutes so the salt draws out more of the moisture, After 5 minutes squeeze the sweet potato dry.
- Place the flax seeds in a small cup and cover with the water. Set aside for five minutes, until the flax seeds have absorbed the water. Meanwhile melt the butter. Add the melted butter and flax egg to the sweet potato and mix.
- Line a tart dish with butter. Place the sweet potato mix into the dish and push firmly into the sides. You want a fairly thick base, as the sweet potato will shrink as you cook it.
- Place the crust into the fridge for half an hour.
- Meanwhile cut all the peppers into bite sized chunks and place onto a tray. Add a little olive oil and place into the oven at 400 F, for 15-20 minutes or until the peppers are browning at the edges.
- Remove the crust from the fridge and place into the oven at 400 F, for 25 minutes, until the crust is the edges are browning.
- Place the tofu, garlic, walnuts, tomato, spices, and red peppers into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Once the filling mix is blended, take the remaining peppers and mix into the filling mix.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Place the filling into the middle and smooth out with your fingers.
- Cover the quiche in tin foil and place into the oven at 400 F for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove from the oven and remove the tin foil, and place back into the oven for 5 minutes, until the filling is has darkened.
- Remove from the oven and remove the quiche from the tart tin, and place onto a cooling rack for the best results. Slice and enjoy!