Roasted Eggplant and Cauliflower Curry [Vegan]
For the Roasted Veggies:
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cups cauliflower florets
- salt & pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to taste
For the Curry:
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (about 350g; diced or pureed)
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water / vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk, plus more to taste
Preheat your oven to 425°F. Place the chopped eggplant and cauliflower on a lined baking tray, then drizzle with some oil and sprinkle on salt and pepper.
Roast the veggies for 20-25 minutes, or until fork-tender.
While the veggies are roasting, heat some oil/water in a large skillet. Add in the onion, garlic, and ginger, and saute for 5-6 minutes..
To the pan, add in spices and incorporate well with a spatula; once fragrant, stir in the tomatoes, lentils, and water.
Cover the skillet and let the mixture simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
After the 10 minutes, the roasted veggies should be done -- add them into the skillet along with the coconut milk.
Stir well and cover again for 5-10 more minutes, cooking until the lentils are tender. Remove from heat and serve warm.
*For this recipe, feel free to substitute your favorite vegetables in place of the eggplant and cauliflower -- for example, zucchini, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, broccoli, etc.