In this recipe, oven-roasted Brussels sprouts are roasted with caramelized onions, chopped dates, and crunchy walnut pieces to create a meal that's flavorful and satisfying. Roasting Brussels sprouts allows the outer leaves to brown and crisp while pulling away from the head slightly. The end result is a vegetable that has a crunchy exterior and soft interior with a wonderful, warm, nutty flavor. Paired with caramelized onions, dates, and walnuts, these brussels sprouts are sure to please.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Walnuts, Dates, and Caramelized Onions [Vegan]
For the Caramelized Onions:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
For the Brussels Sprouts:
- 1 stalk, or approximately 4 cups Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup dried pitted dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
To Make the Caramelized Onions:
- On medium heat, add olive oil to a large skillet.
- Add thinly sliced onion and using a wooden spoon, break the slices apart to coat with olive oil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, cover the skillet with a lid and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and sauté for another 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and sauté until a medium golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Remove onions from skillet and set aside.
To Make the Brussels Sprouts:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In order to remove sprouts from a large stalk, gently twist off individual sprouts and place them into a large bowl.
- Remove sprouts from bowl and cut off the rough, knobby stem.
- Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise and transfer back into bowl.
- Drizzle and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place sprouts on baking sheet, cut side down.
- Roast sprouts 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the sprouts. The cut side should be browned and crispy in places.
- When sprouts are finished roasting, you have the option of cutting them in half lengthwise again if you prefer the sprouts to have a slightly shredded texture.
- Add the caramelized onions, dates, and walnuts and toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.