Not only will this salad change the way you think about salad, it'll change the way you roast Brussels sprouts. Spinach and fresh veggies are combined with nutty brown rice with the most perfect roast Brussels sprouts you'll ever taste. Seriously — if you've never cared for Brussels, this salad is the place to try them.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Brown Rice Salad With Sesame Orange Dressing [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Salad:
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups steamed brown rice (cold if possible)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, washed and large stems removed
- 2 cups romaine or iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cups raw or roasted peanuts
- 1 large (ripe) avocado, sliced or chopped
For the Sesame Orange Dressing:
- 1 medium orange (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or tamari, if gluten-free
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons regular sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
To Make the Dressing:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake very well. If possible make this up at least an hour prior to serving and up to 48 hours for really good flavor.
To Make the Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
- Preheat oven to 400°F and toss the Brussels sprouts in a large bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread them out on a medium baking pan and roast in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until tender-crisp. Remove and allow them to cool.
- Combine all of the other ingredients for the salad in a large bowl and toss until combined. Add the
- Brussels sprouts and when ready to serve, toss with the dressing. Alternatively, you can serve with the dressing on the side.