Groggy morning? Start your day off right with some delicious red velvet waffles drizzled with cream cheese sauce. It's a perfect excuse to stay in your pajamas a little longer and soak up the morning sun.
Red Velvet Waffles With Cream Cheese Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 to 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 /4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. red food coloring, optional
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil
- fresh berries, optional
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces, soaked for several hours, drained and rinsed
- 1 6 oz. container plain, unsweetened soy yogurt
- jot of vanilla extract
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nut milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder. Set aside. In a big measuring cup, combine the milk, vinegar, maple syrup, food coloring and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well to combine. Let sit for about 15 minutes during which time you should warm up your waffle iron and get your plates warming up in the oven.
- When the batter is ready, spoon batter onto a lightly oiled waffle iron and cook for 4-5 minutes (or according to the whims of your waffle iron) or until steam has nearly stopped rising. Gently remove waffle and place directly onto a rack in the oven. Prepare the remaining waffles.
- In a blender or food processor, combine all of the ingredients and process until very smooth. Transfer to a small pitcher or bowl.
- Serve the piping hot, crispy waffles with plenty of cream cheese sauce and top with fresh berries.