These butternut squash burgers are a fun take on normal veggie burgers. Instead of beans, this recipe calls for lentils and butternut squash, which gives the burgers a completely different texture. They are quite soft but keep their shape well because they are mixed with gluten-free flour. The key is to not overcook the lentils, you want tender not mushy! Also getting the balance of flour is vital because with too much flour, you get this horrible chewy texture and you definitely lose flavor! Follow this recipe and you will have delicious lentil butternut squash burgers for your next barbecue, party, or just to keep them at home for a quick meal. These are the ultimate vegetarian burgers: satisfying, savory, and full of flavor.
Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Burgers [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 6 spring onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- Small bunch of finely chopped coriander stalks
- Olive oil
- Lettuce leaves, tomatoes, and some potato wedges, for serving
How to Prepare Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Burgers [Vegan]
- Cook the lentils in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes until they are tender and split open but not completely broken down. Drain and allow to cool.
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Peel and slice the butternut squash, coat with a little oil and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Once cooked allow to cool and then slice into small chunks around 3/4-inch in diameter.
- In a large mixing bowl add the lentils, butternut squash, finely sliced spring onions, crushed garlic, spices, flour, and coriander stalks.
- Gently mix together with your hands and when fully combined shape into 4 burgers and place them on a plate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook heat a small amount of oil in a large frying pan and fry the burgers for around 4 minutes on each side until lightly browned and hot all the way through.
- Serve in the lettuce leaves with any burger sides of your choice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Butternut Squash
- Grain-Free Flour
- Red Lentil
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 865 | Total Carbs: 165 g | Total Fat: 4 g | Total Protein: 48 g | Total Sodium: 14 g | Total Sugar: 6 g Nutrition info does not include olive oil, lettuce leaves, tomatoes, and potato wedges.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.