Red kuri squash is a winter squash with an orange-pink color and a flavor akin to chestnuts. In this recipe, it's roasted and pureed into a warming soup that's thick and creamy. Serve this amazing soup on chilly days, with some fresh avocado toast on the side for dipping.
Red Kuri Squash Soup With Cumin [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Red Kuri Squash Soup With Cumin [Vegan]
- 1 2-pound red kuri squash
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 3 cups vegetable broth or more, depending on your preference
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
How to Prepare Red Kuri Squash Soup With Cumin [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Chop the squash into 1-inch cubes (no need to peel). Toss the cubes with the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, chipotle, tamari, and vinegar. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tender all the way through.
- Transfer the baked squash to a blender and blend with the rest of the ingredients (you might need to do it in two or three batches if your blender is smaller or less powerful). If you need to add more broth, go ahead. Be careful not to over-blend, otherwise the soup will get glue-y.
- Once blended to a smooth, creamy consistency, serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.