The patties are easy to prepare, add a wallop of protein to your meal, and can be served alongside almost any side dish. This dish is flavorful and perfect for spring!
Red Bean and Mushroom Cheeseburgers [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Red Bean and Mushroom Cheeseburgers [Vegan]
To Make the Patties:
- 2, 14-ounce cans of kidney beans; drained, rinsed, and mashed (or 3 cups cooked beans)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, shredded 2 cups mushrooms, thinly diced
- 1 cup bread crumbs (approximate)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (optional for frying)
How to Prepare Red Bean and Mushroom Cheeseburgers [Vegan]
- Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well. The amount of breadcrumbs indicated is approximate. You may need a little bit more or less, depending on how moist the mixture of beans and veggies is.
- When done, the mixture should be neither wet, or dry, and you should be able to shape it into a ball, and then patties. Scoop out 1/2 cup of the mixture at a time and with wet hands form balls, then flatten them into patties.
- If you choose to fry the patties, place the oil into a pan and heat over medium heat. Once hot, place patties into the pan and cook for 5 minutes, flip, and cook for another 3 - 5 minutes (until slightly brown). You may need to add a little bit more oil to the pan once you flip the patties. If you choose to barbecue the patties; simply heat and oil the grill, then cook the patties for about 5 minutes per side. Be careful when flipping the patties as they might flake apart.
You can store the patties in the fridge for up to 4 days, or you can freeze cooked patties for up to 30 days. If you are planning on freezing them it is best to undercook the patties as they will be cooked more after defrosting. When ready to use, heat the defrosted patties in a pan with 1 - 2 tbsp of avocado oil, 2 - 3 minutes per side, or until heated through.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.