Dal is a thick lentil stew cooked with spices that is traditionally eaten in southern India. It is one of my favorite dishes and is the perfect hearty, protein-rich meal for a vegetarian/vegan diet. Dal is perfect to serve along with rice, vegetables, and flat-bread for an easy meal - perfect for any weeknight dinner or a Sunday supper. If you are looking for simple comfort food and a nourishing dish then this dal is for you.
Simple Lentil Dal [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup yellow lentils
- 1 cup grey-green lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 4.5 cups vegetable broth
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste (if desired)
- Add the olive oil to a pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, turmeric, cumin, tomato paste, and broth.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer.
- Let cook for 20 - 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.