Simple, yet tasty. Cheese and veggies go very well together -- combine that with a crispy pie crust and I am in heaven. The best thing about this pie is all the possibilities. Root vegetables, grilled vegetables, fresh garden greens, filo pie crust, plain flour pie crust, puff pastry crust and more. Let your imagination run wild.
Cheese and Veggie Pie [Vegan]
- Store bought dairy free puff pastry
- Store bought filo pastry sheets
- Store bought pie crust
- Home made pie crust: 1 1/3 Plain White Flour, ½ tsp Salt, 100 g Dairy Free Margarine & 3 tbs cold Water. (all is mixed together and stored cool before baking)
- 50-100 g Dairy Free Margarine
- 500 ml Plain Dairy Free Milk/Cooking Cream (I used plain cooking cream made from oats)
- 3-4 tbs Plain White Flour
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube, Salt, Pepper and/or other spices of your choice
- Grated Vegan Cheese or Parmasan Powder (to taste)
- Round pie baking tin 26-28cm / 10-11inch in diameter (margarine or oil for greasing)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C / 390F.
- Mix all the ingredients for your pie crust or use your store bought pastry. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Clean and peel your vegetables. Cut into desired shapes and just quickly satué in a frying pan with some oil. (this stage is just to get things going so the veggies will be cooked properly coming out of the oven. If using root vegetables, broccoli or cauliflower boiling/steaming them first is a good thing)
- Now time to start with the cheese filling. Melt the margarine and add the flour while stirring continiously. Start adding your milk/cream some at a time. Add the vegatable cube and spices, remember to stirr and stirr so this cheese sauce won't stick and burn. Grate the cheese and ass to the sauce/ sprinkle in your parmasan powder. Taste!
- Add all the vegetables into the pie crust and pour the cheese filling on top.
- Cook in the oven for 20-30min until the cheese has set and is golden.
- Eat with a nice side salad and enjoy.
Tip: If you wait and serve the pie once it has cooled down your pie slices will be perfect, eating it hot straight out of the oven the cheese is more of a sauce than set.