In need of a little cookie comfort food, I decided to give my chocolate chip cookies a winter makeover, and lightly spiced them with the warm, earthy flavours of chai tea. Keep in mind, when mixing the dough don’t skimp on the beating. It’s important to beat adequate air into the margarine or you may end up with flat, disappointing cookies… Also, although I’m claiming the recipe makes about 30 cookies, I did eat quite a bit of dough. You may end up with a couple more than I did.
Chai Spiced Chocolate Chip Cookies [Vegan]
- 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 6 tbsp Warm Water
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Vegan Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Stir the flaxseed and water together. Set aside and allow mixture to become gelatinous.
- Stir together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- Combine the vegan butter, sugar, and spices. Beat together until light and fluffy.
- Add the flaxseed mixture to the margarine mixture and beat for about 2 minutes.
- Beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto ungreased baking sheets and bake for 10 – 11 minutes.
- Allow to cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, before transferring to cooling rack.
- Chai Spice
- Chocolate Chip
- Chocolate Cookie
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
I assume the flax and baking soda are to take the place of eggs. If I prefer a different egg replacer that would be ok, right? I just need to modify it a bit and maybe still include the baking soda?