Avocados are green and taste good with lime. That was my ah-ha and I headed to the kitchen to play, which yielded this gluten-free and raw vegan Key Lime Pie! Let's just say, I was not disappointed. The crust is made from a simple mixture of nuts and dates. Then, for the filling all you need are cashews, avocados, lime juice, vanilla, and agave! So simple! Making a vegan key lime pie turned out to be not only easy, but also refreshing and quite tasty. It is also so creamy thanks to the avocados! Friends and hubby had seconds which is always a good sign.
Raw-vocado Key Lime Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 6 -8 medjool dates (you may need a few more or a couple less depending on the size and moisture of your dates)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 tablespoons raw agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 cup soaked and drained cashews (soak for an hour or more so they blend smooth and creamy)
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Mix all ingredients in food processor with S blade until they stick together by pinching. Nuts should be finely chopped, but not turned into nut butter. Spread and push down mixture to evenly coat bottom of 9x9-inch square cake pan.
- Mix all ingredients in food processor with S blade until creamy and smooth, spread on top of nut crust. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in food processor with S blade until creamy and smooth, add a bit of water or a little more agave if needed.
- Spread on top of frozen avocado and store covered in the freezer until 5 – 15 minutes prior to serving (if frozen). Take out and cut into pieces, allowing them to slightly thaw before serving. Pie filling will turn brown in about an hour after thawing, so keep frozen if possible.