Here's a raw vegan "pita" chip that's low in sodium and has no cholesterol. The onion flakes and garlic powder add a nice touch to kick up this savory snack into a appetizer winner.
Raw Parmesan ‘Pita’ Chips [Vegan]
1 dehydrator sheet
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. dried onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 clove garlic
- couple of slices red onion
- 1/2 cup baby carrots (or chopped carrots)
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white miso
- 1/2 cup water
- In a food processor, process the walnuts, carrots, garlic, olive oil, white miso, red onion, onion flakes and garlic powder until smooth. Scrape down sides to make sure you don’t have any large chunks.
- Put the flaxseed meal, nut cheese, and salt & pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in the walnut mixture and the water until it’s well-combined.
- Line a dehydrator tray with a non-stick sheet and plop the dough into the center, top with another non-stick sheet and slowly roll out the dough. I had to move dough around a bit from one spot to another to fill the whole tray. The dough should be about 1/4″ thick.
- Remove the top non-stick sheet, gently score the dough into whatever size and shape strike your fancy and slide the tray with the dough into the dehydrator.
- Sprinkle the top with nut cheese, if desired.
- Start the dehydrator out at 145F and dry for 30 minutes.
- Turn it down to 115F and after a few hours, carefully flip the dough onto a dehydrator screen.
- Continue to dehydrate for an additional 12-24 hours. Check the consistency of the chips occasionally – you want them to be very crispy.