Have you ever heard of raw cucumber kimchi? Well, now you have! Traditional cucumber kimchi, while very delicious, does not last long in the fridge due to its high water content, hence can’t be enjoyed over a long period of time like napa cabbage kimchi. Making this practically instant kimchi is quite genius, in my opinion, since you can make the exact amount you plan on eating right away and it all comes together under 10 minutes (even under 5 if you don’t let it sit prior to eating). Try this out once and then make a mason jar full of the spice mixture for quicker turn-around.
Raw Cucumber Kimchi [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 large cucumber or 2 smaller ones, sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons gochugaru (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh mango chunks
- Clean and slice the entire cucumber and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt at this stage of the process and mix well. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften the cucumber (optional).
- If you want, skip the previous step and add the salt along with all of the other ingredients listed above to the bowl.
- Mix well will gloves, squeezing the cucumber gently.
- Serve with sides of choice, in this case, white rice (or rice of choice), and fresh mango.
You can find gochugaru in your grocery store's spice section or online.