Traditional baked apple pie can be quite an effort to make, but this raw apple pie is very quick, easy, and absolutely delicious! Also, don't limit yourself to just using apples – you can use whatever fruit is seasonal at the moment. This pie will keep a few days in the fridge and it's wonderful with fresh fruit or a dollop of coconut yogurt.
Raw Apple Pie With Almonds, Coconut, and Ginger [Vegan]
- 4 apples (your favorites in season!)
- 3/4 cup of dates
- 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons of flaked almonds
- Flaked almonds and cranberries to garnish
- Wash and then slice the apples on a mandolin so you get a very fine slice. If you don’t have a mandolin, simply slice them as fine as you can!
- If your dates are hard, soak them for an hour or so in warm water. When they have softened, rinse the dates and add them to the blender with the orange juice and about 1/4 teaspoon of the orange zest. Add the cinnamon and ginger. Blend until you get a relatively smooth date paste. You can add a little water if need be to keep it moving easily in the blender.
- Mix the date paste through the apples and add the coconut and flaked almonds.
- When everything is mixed well, transfer the mix to a baking tin or individual ramekins. Garnish with more flaked almonds and cranberries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This will keep in the fridge, covered, for 3-4 days.