Taste the rainbow for breakfast. ...Or brunch, lunch, or dinner. Treat yourself to these colorful, homemade rainbow pop tarts any time of day. They look like something out of a professional bakery, but they're surprisingly easy to make. You won't find any obscure ingredients here!
Rainbow Pop Tarts [Vegan]
For the Pop Tarts:
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted vegan butter, cut into cubes
- 1/16-1/8 cup cold water
- Food coloring (pink, yellow, orange, green, blue purple)
- Jelly, for the filling
- Sprinkles, for topping
For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt together
- Add cubed up vegan butter to the dry ingredients. With a fork smash all the vegan butter into the flour. When the vegan butter is small pieces throughout the mixture add in water.
- Mix in the water. It may feel dry, but knead the mixture until it holds together.
- Divide mixture into six balls of dough. Mix dye into each ball of dough.
- Flatten each ball and stack the flatten dough on each other. Now roll a ball to make the dough look kind of tie dye. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll chilled mixture out into a thin sheet. Cut into desired pop tart sizes.
- Put the tiniest amount jelly in the middle of the bottom piece of dough. Top with the upper piece and mash the edges together with a fork. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Let pop tarts cool then add icing or frosting and sprinkles. To make icing mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 or 2 tablespoons almond milk.
Inspired by Taste Made
- Rainbow Recipes