This Quinoa Mango Kheer is a vegan take on a classic Indian pudding. Kheer is an Indian dessert, similar to rice pudding. Traditionally it’s made with rice that is cooked in milk that’s flavored with cardamon and saffron. It’s creamy, rich and a delight for the taste buds – however it’s a special treat. This Quinoa Mango Kheer, however, is a lot lighter and can be enjoyed as a breakfast or mid day snack. It's made with quinoa, coconut milk, and traditional spices, then topped with fresh mango and shredded coconut. The awesome news is that it’s nutritious and healthy, while still maintaining is delicious taste and creamy texture. This Quinoa Mango Kheer doesn't require any special cooking skills as it is simple and easy to make - plus it can be made in just few minutes. You have to try it!
Quinoa Mango Kheer [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cup organic coconut milk (1 can)
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons pistachios coarsely chopped
- 3 green cardamoms crushed or 1/2 teaspoon cardamon powder
- 1 pinch saffron soaked in 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 large ripe mango
- Wash the quinoa well under running water.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Now pour the coconut milk into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add quinoa.
- Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lower temperature and check if the quinoa is soft.
- Stir in raisins, pistachios, cardamom and saffron (discard the soaking water).
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, transfer into a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel the mango, discard the pit and coarsely chopped the fruit.
- Put the mango into a high speed blender or food processor and process for 30 seconds to make a smooth puree.
- Mix the mango mixture into the quinoa.
- Divide the mixture into two bowls and sprinkle fresh diced mango and shredded coconut.
- Enjoy warm or cold.