A few months back I made a salad with arugula, beets, oranges, avocados and hazelnuts. The combination of beets and hazelnuts was so delicious that I decided to create a quinoa salad using some of the same flavors. The result is a salad that’s as delicious as it is pretty. And let’s not forget, this is a dish you can feel great about eating, because: Beets contain powerful phytonutrients called belatains. Hazelnuts serve up protein, vitamin E and “good fats”. Quinoa provides a complete protein, and is a good source of magnesium.
Quinoa and Beet Salad With Hazelnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup diced roasted beets
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts (or substitute pistachios or almonds)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the quinoa and water in a medium saucepan.Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, until you see the rings separate from the kernels of quinoa and it’s tender-crunchy. Set aside and cool.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Eat.