Unless you grow your own radish plants at home, you’ve likely never seen the long, thin seed pods that emerge once they start flowering. All radish plants produce seed pods that are edible; you may have even come across a patch of wild radishes on a hike and not realized what the pointy-tailed pods were. They appear en masse (a single plant is quite prolific, producing dozens of pods on its flower stalk) at the end of the life cycle, long after the radish root has turned woody and inedible. But even though you can’t harvest the radish, consider the seed pods a bonus harvest—a final hurrah—before you pull the plant up. Pick them while they’re green and fresh (because in a few weeks, they’ll dry out and turn into actual seeds). The crunchy, peppery pods taste like a concentrated radish and can be easily snacked on by the handful. When radish pods are pickled, the sweet and tangy brine mellows out their spice somewhat and turns the radish pods into a zesty topping for sandwiches and tacos!
Quick-Pickled Sweet ‘N’ Spicy Radish Pods [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Quick-Pickled Sweet ‘N’ Spicy Radish Pods [Vegan]
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 heaping (150 g) cups radish seed pods
How to Prepare Quick-Pickled Sweet ‘N’ Spicy Radish Pods [Vegan]
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, rice vinegar, wine vinegar, sugar, and salt and stir until the grains are dissolved. Let the brine cool to room temperature.
- Pack the radish pods into jars and pour the brine over them, making sure the pods are fully submerged. Pickle at room temperature, out of direct sunlight, for at least 4 hours before serving. For best flavor, pickle overnight in the fridge.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.