There's nothing quite like a hot cup of cocoa as the weather starts to cool down! Rich, chocolately comfort in a cup - what could be better? This recipe is simple and easy so you can have a delicious treat in no time.
Quick and Easy Hot Cocoa [Vegan]
- 2 cups soy (or almond) milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons vegan sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional)
- Vegan whipped topping of choice or vegan marshmallows (optional)
- Add soy milk to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently with a small whisk (this will help you get maximum frothiness), until desired heat is reached.
- Once milk is heated through, add vanilla, sugar and chocolate, stirring continually until fully dissolved. Remove from heat, pour into mugs, and serve immediately!
You may want to increase the amount of cocoa and sugar (by about 1 teaspoon or so) if you prefer a richer flavor. You can use any dairy-free milk you'd like, but soy milk has the thickest body, and works best for this type of drink. The next runner up is almond milk, followed by rice milk (which is much thinner and not quite as rich as the other two). The type of soy milk you buy makes a difference, too. For this recipe, using an "original flavor" is recommended (these are slightly sweetened, if you use an "unsweetened" milk, simply add more sugar to taste). You can heat your milk in the microwave if you prefer, it should need just 90 seconds to heat, and you can stir in the cocoa powder and sugar immediately after removing (this would work especially well if you're just preparing one serving!). This recipe uses soymilk with a little added vanilla. If you have vanilla flavored milk on hand though, just leave out the vanilla extract and save yourself a step!