I love purple sweet potatoes because, well, they’re purple. They taste the same as orange ones but love the extra attention, making them the narcissists of the vegetable kingdom… While you probably want to make a monster face this month, later in the winter just sprinkle some brown sugar, chopped pecans, and vegan marshmallows over the top. Even the pickiest kid can’t turn down sweet potato casserole for breakfast!
Purple Monster Oatmeal [Vegan]
2 - 3
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped peeled purple sweet potato (or use a regular sweet potato)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground allspice
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch nutmeg
- sweetener to taste (brown sugar is great, but agave, stevia, etc. will still work fine)
- 2 tablespoon chopped pecans (or whole ones to make monster face)
- 2 tablespoons vegan mini-marshmallows (2 smashed with cardamom or black sesame seeds for pupils if making monster)
- 2 tablespoon agave nectar
- optional slivered almonds (for scary monster mouth)
- The night before: Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add everything except sweetener and toppings to the slow cooker. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. If there are still chunks of potato smash them with a fork. Add some water if it’s still a little thick. Taste and sweeten. Top with toppings and make a monster face if you’re in the mood (or just in a mood).