This vegan version of the ever-popular pumpkin spiced latte is made using homemade pumpkin seed milk! The latte is a concoction of the pumpkin seed milk, pumpkin spiced maple simple syrup, and cold brew concentrate. Though this may seem a little involved for a coffee drink, the recipe will make enough for about 4 drinks, so you can keep sipping on PSLs all week long.
Pumpkin Spice Latte With Homemade Pumpkin Seed Milk [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Pumpkin Seed Milk:
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, soaked for 24 hours
- 2 cups filtered water
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Pumpkin Spiced Maple Simple Syrup:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Tiny pinch of sea salt
To Make the Pumpkin Seed Milk:
- After the pumpkin seeds have soaked, drain and rinse them off. Put them in a blender along with the water and salt and blend away until the seeds have broken down.
- Strain the milk through either a nut milk bag or a few layers of cheesecloth to remove any pulp from the pumpkin seeds. Store the strained liquid (your pumpkin seed milk) in a jar in the refrigerator for up to a week. Shake well before using. Makes a little more than 2 cups.
To Make the Pumpkin Spiced Maple Simple Syrup:
- Add everything to a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. Whisk it well, then allow it to come to a gentle simmer.
- Let the syrup simmer for 3-5 minutes, then remove it from the heat. Store the syrup in a jar in the refrigerator for up to a week. Shake well before using.
To Make the Pumpkin Spiced Latte:
- Mix equal parts cold brew coffee concentrate and pumpkin seed milk. Then, add in the syrup to taste. 4 ounces each of milk and coffee needs about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of the syrup.
- To make it frothy, either shake it all together pretty vigorously in a jar or give it a quick blend in the blender before pouring it over ice. You can also do a hot version if you like.
For a Quick and Easy Latte:
- Forgo making the pumpkin spice syrup.
- Combine equal parts cold brew and pumpkin seed milk (or whatever non-dairy milk you have lying around) then add in a good sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice and a drizzle of maple syrup. Either shake it all together or blend it before pouring it over ice.