The new craze in coffee is cold brew coffee. Cold brew coffee yields a very smooth, less bitter, less acidic tasting coffee. Cold brew has the same roast and grind as the coffee that you brew at home, except it requires a long extraction, cold (basically not hot) water. Because the process is somewhat lengthy, purchasing cold brew in a coffee shop is expensive, but it’s not difficult. Below is my recipe for a homemade cold brew concentrate that won’t break your bank.
Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate [Vegan]
- 1 part ground coffee (same grind as for your drip coffee pot)
- 1 part room temperature filtered water
How to Prepare Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate [Vegan]
- Combine equal parts finely ground coffee and room-temperature filtered water in a french-press. My french-press is on the smaller side, so I used 2 cups water, 2 cups ground coffee ( note: yields about 10-12 oz of concentrate, which will make about 3-4 servings depending on your preference of strength). If you don’t have a french-press you can use a jar or canister. The advantage of using a french-press is that it has a built-in filtering mechanism.
- Stir. Let sit for 10 minutes, stir again.
- Cover the french press or jar with saran wrap or a tight fitting lid. If you’re using the french press, leave the plunger top off to the side since it will separate the grounds and the water. Put the coffee mixture in a pantry cupboard for 24 to 36 hours. Don’t stir it during this time.
- Filter the cold brew. Use the plunger top for the french press and carefully push down as far as it will go. Then rubber band a coffee filter over the mouth of a canning jar. Pour the cold brew through the coffee filter. It will take a while, so pour a little at a time.
- Dilute the concentrate to your liking – I like to pour it straight over ice cubes. Try it before you load it up with cream and sugar, you might decide you don’t need them at all!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.