Making gluten-free and vegan french toast is somewhat of a challenge, but in this case, it isn't! The goopiness of pumpkin replaces the eggs then, each piece of bread is coated in oats to create a crunchy outer layer.
Pumpkin Pie French Toast [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Heat a large skillet over low-medium heat, you don't want the heat too high to avoid burning the oats
- In a shallow bowl, like a pasta bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, almond milk, and vanilla extract until well combined
- Pour some oats out on dinner plate
- Dunk each slice of bread in the pumpkin mixture (each side) and then in the oats to fully coat it. Spray your skillet with non-cook spray and add some butter if desired (makes the edges crisp up more- really delicious)
- Cook each toast until the oats start to turn golden brown, then flip and repeat.
2 batches of the pumpkin mixture makes about 8 slices of french toast.