This dairy-free risotto is incredibly creamy and loaded with bold flavor from white onion, garlic, and white wine. Pumpkin purée and peas boost the nutritional value and help sneak in some veggies and nutritional yeast adds some delicious cheesy flavor. This luxurious dish satisfies!
Pumpkin and Peas Risotto [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin purée
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Parsley and freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent (but not browning), 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the rice, mix it together with the onions so the dry rice toasts a little bit (about 1 minute). Add the wine, scrape up anything that’s sticking to the pan, and let the wine simmer down for another minute.
- Add broth and bring to a rolling boil. Then immediately reduce the heat to low and let simmer (stirring occasionally) for about 35 minutes until liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Add the pumpkin purée and stir to combine. Simmer on low for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, vegan butter, and nutritional yeast if using. Simmer on low for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately. Top with fresh parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If storing leftovers in the freezer leave one inch at the top for expansion.