These little fluffy pillow are going to be your new favorite thing! They are ridiculously easy to make and come out perfectly. In fact, these Vegan Pretzel Buns only require 6 very basic ingredients, no fancy equipment and they come out better than the bakery ones – you’ll see!
Pretzel Buns [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (to activate the yeast)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided (or white spelt flour) - plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Place the yeast together with the lukewarm water into a small bowl (the water should be warm but not hot). Add the sugar and briefly stir everything together, then put aside and let rest for 5 minutes until the yeast has activated.
- In a separate large non-metal bowl, add 1 cup flour and salt and combine. Pour in the yeast mixture and mix thoroughly. The dough will be very sticky. Place the remaining 0.5 cup flour on a working surface, place the dough on top and knead for 5-8 minutes until you have a moist, but not sticky dough.
- Clean your large bowl and slightly grease with oil. Return the dough to the bowl and turn it around a few times so that it becomes coated with a thin layer of oil. Cover with a towel and let rest for 1 hour until the dough has doubled.
- Punch the dough down and take out of the bowl. Knead with a little bit more flour if too sticky, the cut into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place on a lined baking sheet with enough distance apart. Let rise another 30 minutes, then cut a cross on top of each ball.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and place a small/medium pot over high heat with the 4 cups water. Add in the baking soda and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and let simmer. Add each dough ball into the pot and allow to cook for 1 minute, flipping over halfway through, then remove from the water using a slotted spoon or spatula and place back on the baking tray. Repeat until all of the dough balls have been cooked. Make sure the cross is still there, or renew it and place the tray in the oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown, watching closely so it won't burn.
- Best served immediately with your favorite spread or store in a bread bag for up to 3 days.