How does a pita stuffed with two steaks sound? Two veggie steaks that is! These sandwiches have a thick Portobello mushroom cap, a thick cauliflower steak, and a medley of vegetables. Top with a bit of hummus and a sprinkling of spices and you have a seriously hearty sammy that will keep you satisfied for hours!
Portobello Cauliflower Pitas [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Portobello Cauliflower Pitas [Vegan]
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 thick slices cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons pesto of choice
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- 1 1/2 cups vegetables of your choice, like sliced bell peppers, broccoli, or a stir-fry blend of vegetables
- 1 cup relish of choice mixed with 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- Spices, to taste
- 2 tablespoons hummus
How to Prepare Portobello Cauliflower Pitas [Vegan]
- Preheat your oven to 355°F.
- Bake your mushrooms stem down on baking paper for 10 minutes, as well as the cauliflower steaks. It will let loose a lot of moisture.
- Drain the liquid and turn the mushrooms cap up. Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto inside the cap of each mushroom. Splash some smoked paprika on top. Bake for 10 minutes, turn the cauliflower steak over, and smear it with pesto. Splash smoked paprika on top. Bake it for another 10 minutes on the top grill.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick pan, fry up your stir-fry for a few minutes on medium heat so that it loses its moisture.
- Mix the relish and curry powder, then add the relish to the stir fry and cook for another 6 minutes or so. Add spices to taste.
- Heat your pita in the toaster or in the microwave until it puffs up.
- Slice open on edge of the pita and smear 1 tablespoon of hummus inside, then add a few tablespoons of the stir fry relish, then stuff the Portobello steak and cauliflower steak in there, adding stir-fry in between, on the sides and on top.
- Heat up your pita again. Serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.