This warm sandwich is a hearty breakfast option filled with savory goodness. Toasty ciabatta bread is slathered in red pesto, topped with tender Portobello mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and a well-seasoned tofu scramble. Super satisfying and healthy way to start the day or to enjoy on those nights where you're craving breakfast for dinner.
Portobello and Tofu Scramble Sandwich [Vegan]
- 2 half ciabatta loaves
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 12-ounce package firm tofu [12 oz]
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 8-ounce jar of vegan red pesto
- 2 roasted peppers (in a jar)
- A small bunch of alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 of 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Kalamata olives, to serve (optional)
- Put the grill on.
- Place Portobello mushrooms in a dish and brush with olive oil. Place under the grill and cook for 8 minutes on each side.
- In a saucepan, scramble the drained tofu with a fork. Add turmeric, thyme, and nutritional yeast. Blend well and cook until warm. Season to taste.
- When the mushrooms are almost cooked, cut ciabatta loaves in half horizontally and toast.
- Spread pesto inside each toasted ciabatta halves.
- For each sandwich, sprinkle ciabatta bottom with alfalfa sprouts and red onions.
- Stack 2 mushrooms on top, followed by half the tofu scramble and 1 roasted pepper.
- Sprinkle with alfalfa sprouts and cover with ciabatta top.
- Serve with kalamata olives, if you'd like.