Baked goods with poppy seeds are wildly popular in Germany and Austria, but a good Mohnkuchen (poppy cake) is very hard to find anywhere outside the European borders. This poppy and prune cake is inspired by those beautiful desserts – it's chocolatey, fruity, moist, and a little nutty. Cover the cake in an elegant chocolate ganache frosting and you have a spectacular dessert on your hands!
Poppy and Prune Cake (‘Mohnkuchen’) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Poppy and Prune Cake (‘Mohnkuchen’) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds, ground
- Scant 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds mixed with 3 teaspoons water, soaked for five minutes
- Scant 3/4 cup prunes, pitted
- Scant 3/4 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons sprouted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste
- 5 tablespoons rum
- 4 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 5 tablespoons raisins
- Your favorite chocolate frosting recipe, to coat
How to Prepare Poppy and Prune Cake (‘Mohnkuchen’) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Grind poppy seeds in a high-speed food processor until they become a fine paste. Add almond milk, vanilla essence, raisins, rum, molasses, spices and let set in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 356°F.
- Fold the pre-soaked chia eggs into poppy seed mixture.
- Grind walnuts and pitted prunes in a mixer and add to poppy/egg dough.
- Mix together flour and baking powder and fold into remaining ingredients.
- Bake in a greased baking dish for 30-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool and coat with chocolate frosting.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.