This homemade pita bread is fluffy and soft with pockets just waiting to be filled with delicious veggies, grains and sauce. Ready to learn how you can make the best pita bread recipe at home? Lets get started!
Pita Bread [Vegan]
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water, 105–110°F
- Put yeast, sugar in a small bowl and add warm water. Stir and let it rest for 5 minutes
- Mix all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt. Then add yeast mixture, olive oil and the remaining water together. Stir with a wooden spoon
- Put on a floured surface and knead the dough by hand for 10 minutes until it becomes a smooth, elastic dough. Make a big ball
- Oil the bowl with olive oil and put the dough in the bowl. Cover the dough with olive oil as well. Put some cling film on the bowl and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it through on a floured surface. Cut into 8 pieces and roll them into 8 inch pita of about 1/4 thick. Cover with cling film and a wet towel and let it proof for another 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 500°F and pre heat a pizza stone as well. Let the oven heat an additional 10 minutes to make it extra hot. You need the heat the puf the pita
- Pick up a pita and turn it upside down on the pizza stone before you put it in the oven. Let it bake between 3 to 4 minutes. Do not over bake or it will go dry.
- Take the pita(s) out of the oven and store them in a dishcloth while you bake the other pita breads
- Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat. Char one pita at a time in the skillet for about 30 seconds per side. Cover in a towel until all pitas are charred
- Serve immediately!