Prickly Pear is so completely underrated. Its unassuming until you cut into it and then its the most beautiful vibrant shade of red. When you bite into it, it has a very subtle sweet flavor and reminds me a lot of melon. It's delicious and refreshing and it paired up so nicely with this pistacio crusted tofu. It has a crunch with a light sauce on top. Light, refreshing and something different.
Pistachio Crusted Tofu With a Prickly Pear Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu:
- 1 14-ounceblock extra firm tofu cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1-2 prickly pears
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- A dash of cinnamon
- A dash of salt (if needed)
To Make the Sauce:
- Cut the outer peel off of the prickly pear and dice into small chunks. Place pieces into a food processor and pulse until broken down. Pour liquid into bowl.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and let sit. (the longer it sits the better since the flavors can properly marry)
For the Tofu:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut tofu into slices and lightly pat with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a food processor add in pistachio pieces until ground down to resemble bread crumbs. Add to a shallow bowl along with the coconut flour. Season if necessary.
- Take each piece of tofu and press firmly down into pisatchio pieces in order to form a coating on the tofu.
- Place a piece of parchment onto a baking sheet and lay tofu onto baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cooking times may vary depending on oven.
- Place tofu onto plates and top with sauce. Serve immediately.