Quinoa is really appealing to me because its a whole grain that cooks in just 15-20 minutes so you can make a quick + healthy meal in no time. Since you can make quinoa really quickly, I wanted to keep the rest of this meal fast to put together, too.
Pineapple Teriyaki Fried Quinoa [Vegan, Gluten Free]
For the Pineapple Teriyaki Fried Quinoa:
- 1 Cup Uncooked Quinoa
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Small Onion small dice
- 1 Carrot small dice
- 1 Rib of Celery small dice
- 1/2 of a Red Bell Pepper small dice
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup Frozen Cut Green Beans
- 1 Cup Chopped Fresh Pineapple
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Agave
- 1/2 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water for at least 30 seconds. Put rinsed quinoa in a medium pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, reduce heat to low, put a lid on and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed. If you are starting with precooked quinoa, it will be about 3 1/2 cups, cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a large non stick skillet, sauté onion, carrot and celery for 3-4 minutes add a tablespoon of water if things start sticking to the pan. Next, add the red bell pepper and continue sautéing 2-3 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- While the vegetables are sautéing, in a small bowl, combine soy sauce, agave, rice vinegar, onion and garlic powder and ground ginger and stir to combine.
- Add the peas, green beans and sauce mixture into the skillet and cook for 1 minute to defrost the vegetables. Next add the pineapple and stir to combine. Finally, add all of the cooked quinoa and fold the mixture until everything is evenly distributed.